Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hard times in the Southern Hemisphere

Life in Chile was going well until Tuesday afternoon. When I returned to the apartment with my Chilean host family everything looked fine... until I looked for my laptop. I thought Claudia may have moved it, but when I asked her she said "no" and turned to look in her room. Both of our laptops and my digital camera were gone.

The police came and Claudia and I spent about an hour scanning security camera footage. There was a man in dark clothes delivering a package to the apartment down the hall when we left for the store, and the police thought he was probably connected. We finally saw one of the building emplyees leave the front desk with package. It took him 6 minutes to do a 30 second errand.

There is little hope that we will get the computers back and less for the camera. The police think that it was probably someone living in the building acting with the employee, maybe even the man down the hall that received the package.

This has been hard. I lost all my coursework for this time here: my daily journal entries and 178 pictures for a photo essay. Claudia and her family have been wonderful, but it is still difficult. On top of that loss, I will have to pay the college for my laptop, since it was still technically theirs. That won´t be too easy on a student payroll:(

Aside from this hardship, it has been wonderful here! We are in a building that is just across the street from the Pacific Ocean in Viña del Mar. Yesterday we took the morning to go into Valiparaiso and see the port. Chile has been very good to me! Relaxing pace and newfound friends and fun with my horrible Spanish! It will be hard to go back to the duldrums of winter in Kentucky. There will be no more pictures to add to the blog, but I will try to write one or two more updates before I leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home